Last week when I was in Target, I picked up every kind of gluten-free Chex cereal they carried. Amazingly, the multi-grain and wheat flavors were the only ones that failed the gluten test. Thank you General Mills!
I had never noticed the wide array of Chex® flavors that were available. This morning – Saturday morning – when Brent could make oatmeal, or buckwheat pancakes, or eggs and bacon, he chose a bowl of Chex® ! And instead of venturing out and trying the honey nut or cinnamon flavors that he had not tried yet, he stuck with the basic Rice Chex®!
No doubt, the cinnamon, chocolate or honey nut are destined for a late night snacking sensation or maybe we’ll make one of these tasty recipes we found on the Chex® website.
Chili and Garlic Chex® Mix
4 cups Corn Chex® or Rice Chex® cereal
5 cups popped fat-free microwave popcorn
1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereal, popcorn and peanuts. Drizzle with oil; toss until evenly coated.
2. In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over cereal mixture; toss until evenly coated.
3. Microwave uncovered on High 3 to 4 minutes, stirring after each minute, until crisp. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container.
Chex® Honey Nut Cherry Crunch
4 1/2 cups Honey Nut Chex® cereal
4 1/2 cups Rice Chex® cereal
2 cups whole cashews
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereal and cashews.
2. In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and honey and salt uncovered on High about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir butter mixture. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
3. Microwave uncovered on High 4 minutes, stirring every minute. Stir in cherries and sesame seeds. Microwave an additional 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Store in airtight container.